Prenatal Classes

Prenatal classes help to prepare for labor, birth, and early parenthood, especially for the first time parents-to-be. Prenatal classes not only help you focus on your pregnancy and forthcoming labour and birth, but they also have a great social function - they're a great place to meet other expectant parents.
I and my hubby attended a prenatal class conducted by the health center in our area.
It was a very informative and a good learning experience as this is our first baby.

We had the following sessions in the prenatal class:
- information about the process of labour and childbirth
demo of how the baby squeezes through the birth canal and how nature defines it course for the baby. The babies are such experts that they know exactly what to do.

- they explained the changes we might experience after the birth and in early parenthood

- tried out massage skills and breathing techniques.
Showed how the birthing partner can help in breathing and relaxation during labor. I got a lovely massage too. Courtesy - my hubby;)

- bathing and wrapping the baby
the exact procedure of holding and bathing a baby, cleaning up, wearing diapers, talking to the baby while bathing, putting clothes on.

- group work and played games with other expecting mothers and their partners and got to know their views and pregnancy experience.

- they also made my hubby ware a fake tummy of 10kgs, so that he can experience how it feels to be pregnant and what are the difficulties pregnant women face even to do the daily chores. It was quite funny seeing my hubby walk with a big belly. ;)

- they also provided information about the support provided by various institutions.

It helped me and my hubby to acquire the skills and confidence needed to make birth a positive experience. I guess I feel well-prepared for pregnancy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment