Baby Hiccups

Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night and felt my baby’s body beating in a rhythm. I knew it wasn’t the heartbeat as it is not so intense. The sensation was unlike any other movements. The rhythm of the twitches and the frequency make the hiccups much different from the rolls, kicks and punches you normally experience during pregnancy. I realized that my poor baby was getting hiccups. Once you feel them a few times, you'll notice it right away. I felt pity for the little one, because I know how annoying it can be get a bout of hiccups. I thought maybe patting him, getting out of bed and drinking water might help him. I stretched myself and drank water to my hearts content. Actually the hiccups do not last for long.Usually it subsides within a minute.

You may wonder if the hiccups are uncomfortable for your baby. I wondered about this and even asked the doctor. Fortunately, the doctor said the baby isn't bothered by the hiccups when he is still in uterus. It is completely normal.

The cause for the hiccups is not very well known.The baby's digestive system is maturing and growing. Your baby's intestines for example are slowly contracting and relaxing. Your baby also begins practicing swallowing small amounts of amniotic fluid to help further mature the digestive system, which might be one of the causes for hiccups. Some babies may hiccup several times every day while other baby's only hiccup sporadically.

No comments:

Post a Comment